Tuesday, February 12, 2008

What would your All-star Weekend look like?

TrueHoop today points us to this blog entry by the president of the D-League. In it, Dan Reed (the D-league president) talks about the introduction of H-O-R-S-E to the D-League All-star weekend, and more generally talks about the D-League's role in trying out new things for the NBA. He asked people to send in ideas for all-star weekend.

So that got me thinking. What would I want to see? Off the top of my head, I can think of two competitions I'd like to see.

1. An NBA Jam style full-court two on two competition. Maybe play the games to 50 by twos and threes (but with a 20 minute cap). Not sure if it could be played on a full court-- maybe a 3/4 size court would be better. Set it up like a tournament so that there's a steady stream of games.

2. A half-court 1 v 1 tournament. You'd need to play with the rules in some way to try and not give too big of an advantage to either smalls or bigs, but I think the odd match-ups would actually be the most interesting part. I'm thinking an 8 second shot-clock, need to take the ball back, and one "teammate" whose only role is to pass the ball in so that big men don't need to dribble from the top of the key. And have it reffed-- award foul shots and allow people to foul out.

I'd be interested in watching these games. Think these events would be interesting? How about other ideas? Share them in the comments!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would watch the NBA-Jams competition but the 1-on-1 does not sound like much fun for spectators. I also don't think that Knock-Out would work very well... but maybe instead of the three-point competition running as it has for the last many years they could do it more like around-the-world where the players have to choose if they want to "chance" their progress. Also, rough-house could be fun to watch though it would never happen for fear of injury.